Sunday, January 16, 2011

Mommy wins!


So, if you do recall, I blogged about Thing 1 and his sleep "challenges" :)
Well, after that blog I had a friend email me with some advice. She challenged me with spanking. Which, I informed her, I do when certain situations I feel are in need of that. Metro Man and I have spanked many a time when it comes to staying in bed. BUT she had another alternative...rewards with coins! $$$ Why I had not thought of this, I do not know. He has a piggy bank and loves playing with coins. So I thought, eh, why not give it a shot. I mean, what kid does not like PRIZES?! 
Bed time came and I pulled all the punches! I had to have my poker face on though, bc he punched back..

"Okay sweetie, 2 minutes and it's time for bed" I firmly stated. 
"No bedtime mommy, play puzzles" he pleads.
"No, sweetie it's time for bed. Now get your blanket and lets go pick out a book"
My sweet baby boy proceeded to his room and daddy followed. They read their book, said prayers, and then it was all lights off. Dad hung in there for a few, only for Thing One to continue to ask for me.
I can hear from the couch over the Golden Globes some sort of chatting going on back there...could not be a good sign. The door opens and Metro Man appears into the kitchen searching for his lozengers. lol. Bless his heart. (quit dipping about 5 months ago)
"Ugh, he is just playing back there, and he keeps poking at my face telling me to come get you!" lol
This was go time for me! 
I waited on the couch...it was only a matter of time. 
I was not, however, ready for the cuteness.
5 minutes went by.. and here he came. Dragging his blanket and holding his teddy he looked at me with those big blue eyes and so softly says, "mommy come lay with me please" 
"Son, it is time for bed and you are a big boy now."
"But mommy loves me, mommy loves me" in his pleading voice.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? waaaaaaa 
I picked him up, pushed back the desire to give in and walked him to his bed. He proceeded to tell me how much I loved him.
I turned on his night light and very straight faced looked at him.
"If you get out of bed, I will spank you."
"And if you stay in your bed the rest of the night, you will get money in the morning"
The very sad blue eyes suddenly were looking intrigued..
I explained again.."Yes, if you stay in your bed in the morning you will get a quarter to put in your piggy bank. And at the end of the week we can take the money to the store and you can pick out a prize. I love you sweetie, goodnight!"
He flipped over against all desire and put his face in his pillow.
I walked out and shut the door...
I heard him cry two more times, "mommy loves me, lay down." Feeling HORRIBLE, I walked back in the living room and turned the tube back on....


Can not WAIT to give him his quarter in the morning and tell him how proud of him I am...and of course... how much I love him!! <3
Thanks for the email Kim! ;)

FF (fun fact) Cooper completed his first 25 piece puzzle today!


6 comments:

  1. YEY!! Congrats! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement Melissa!! I'm sure you know all about cute little boys and their fight at bedtime! :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed this continues to work! Better get my quarters ready! :)) thanks for reading and commenting!
    Muaah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so glad it worked for you! Just stay strong, they will still try to challenge you from time to time. Don't I know it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. Stick to it momma!!!! I did not and whoa, was that a mess! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, can not thank you enough for your advice Kim! So thankful you took the time to shoot me an email! It is so important for us mommy's to support and encourage each other! It keeps us sane ;)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin- thank you so much for reading and posting! This parenting this can be so nerve shatterig! lol...good thing they are so dang cute right?!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete