Monday, January 17, 2011

Egg-In-The-Hole


Can you remeber your favoite meals from childhood? Well, this is one that I remember quite well! My mom would use cookie cutters to cut the hole out of the bread. So simple, and so yummy! I like to serve this with fresh fruit, usually strawberries and blueberries in our house. If you have those meat eaters, as I do, throw some bacon or turkey sausage on the plate! OJ and Coffee :) Pioneer Woman also has this one in her cookbook, but I don't use half as much butter..lol And I don't know what my mom called this, so we will use PW's name...


Egg-In-The-Hole


Ingredients: Butter, sliced bread (wheat, sourdough or whatever), eggs, salt and pepper


  1. Start by getting whatever bread you choose out. And find a glass, or cookie cutter to make the hole in the bread. (I used regular loaf bread the other day and used a childrens cup so the hole was not too big. If you use larger bread you have the bread space to do a larger hole)
  2. Heat up a tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, then put your piece of bread in.
  3. Crack an egg into the hole.
  4. Season with S&P and let cook another minute.
  5. Flip with a spatula to the other side and make sure it gets in some of the butter.
  6. Season that side with S&P and cook to the doneness you desire. I prefer mine runny, Sean not as much :)
FF (fun facts) Did you know that colonists made gray paint out of blueberries by boiling them in milk?
AND
Blueberries are a powerful antioxidant and help your body in several ways.
1) Help keep your heart healthy
2) Help prevent cancer
3) Help with vision
4) Keeps your mind sharp
5) Helps to prevent urinary tract infections

4 comments:

  1. those look good. I will have to try that whever I am off my strict diet! I like your (FF) idea. I may just have to do that. It's fun :)~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe try using a butter alternative, and egg whites instead! Not sure it will be as good, but worth a shot! Glad I could inspire you with FF :) Go for it girl! ;) thanks for commenting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, those look familiar! I always called them "egg surprise"! Your Aunt Darlene taught me how to make them. Not the most healthy alternative, but you guys sometimes wanted me to melt a piece of cheese on top, but of course you wanted cheese on EVERYTHING! I also cooked the little circle cutouts and put jelly on them :)
    Enjoying your blog, Erin. Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's right, Egg Surprise! :) And I did remember the cheese..hehe
    Thank you for enjoying my blog!
    Best mom eva! xoxo

    ReplyDelete