Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Heavenly Olive Cheese Bread


Ok, as most of you know, or have noticed,  I am trying all of the recipes out of a new cookbook I got for Christmas. It is The Pioneer Woman Cooks.  So if you see the letters PW in my blog posts, I am talking about the Pioneer Woman :) It's kind of like the movie Julia and Julia, except she is PW and I am AT..lol. Last night as I was cooking I was daydreaming about cooking one night, maybe for a date night, without any interruptions. It's a miracle dinner even got done last night. If my mom and Sean had not come when they did, I'm pretty sure I would have given up, or it wouldn't have been done til' about 10:00! Miles wanted to play with all his toys at my feet, and cried for me to "help" every time he couldn't get a Lego to connect. So cute, but not at the time.  Cooper had to go potty two different times, which required me to stop and give that attention; being excited, cleaning out the potty chair, "cleaning up" Cooper, putting sticker on the chart, everyone washing hands...back to work. Twice people. I had two things that needed to go in the oven, and I currently only have one oven. I also had to make the boys a separate dinner at the same time, bc ours was going to be late. We eventually ate, but I look forward to a date night where it's just me cooking with some music on drinking a glass of wine :)

Ok, on with the recipe! This is a cheesy flavorful bread you will LOVE! It is extremely easy to make and can also be prepared and frozen for later if you want! You can slice it up into chunks and eat with a salad for a nice filling lunch, and it's perfect alongside lasagna, spaghetti, or any meat dish! This is a crowd pleaser for sure! Must try this week!

Ingredients: 1 14.5 ounce black olives drained, 1 6 ounce jar pimiento stuffed green olives drained, 2 green onions ( I used 4), 1 stick butter, softened, 1/2 cup mayo (must be real mayo, no substitutions), 1lb Montery Jack cheese grated, 1 loaf french bread

1. Preheat the oven to 325

2.Place the black olives on a large cutting board and give them a good rough chop. Get most of the large pieces broken up.

3. Put your green olives on the cutting board and give them a good rough chop as well.

4. Now it is your green onions turn. Chop em' up!

5. In a large bowl, combine the butter, mayonnaise, Montery Jack cheese, chopped olives, and green onion.



6.Stir until thoroughly combined. At this point, grab the nearest cracker and take a taste! Repeat as needed! We enjoyed this part a little too much last night. haha


7. Slice the French loaf in half lengthwise. Spread this yummy goodness in an even layer on each half.



8.Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese mixture is thoroughly melted and beginning to turn light brown and bubbly. Cut into diagonal slices and serve immediately. Enjoy!






Helpful Hints:

Here are some make-ahead tips:

  • Prepare the olive/cheese mixture up to two days ahead of time. Store tightly covered in the fridge.
  • Or, spread the mixture on the bread and freeze, tightly wrapped, up to six months. Thaw before baking.
The cheese topping also makes a delicious spread for crackers!

Variation
Substitute drained, chopped artichoke hearts and grated Parmesan cheese for the black olives and Monterey Jack cheese. Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment