Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Enchilada casser-ole!


Ok people, I have been on the hunt for some healthy, but YUMMY new dinners! I am not Martha, so I am not coming up with a ton of new ones all on my own YET, so a lot of what I make are recipes I have found or have been given to me. I have been getting better at taking the time to think and play around with recipes, but there is nothing wrong with using others recipes to make your family happy!
So, I found a new magazine with a bunch of yummy recipes that are geared to lower calorie counts. My goal is to be healthy and balanced. I won't lie, I have a lot to loose. I could go crazy and just eat Special K all day, or just snack on nuts and fruit..haha, but I want to do this the right way, the balanced way. I also have other members in my family I have to think about...pretty sure they don't want to eat Special K for dinner. My goal is 1,300 calories a day, 3 meals and 2 snack. 300 or so for breakfast, 450 for lunch, 450 for dinner. Two 50 calorie snacks.
I tried this dinner tonight, it was SOOO easy to make, and jam packed full of flavor! My husband, 2 year old, and 18 month old, ALL ate it! SCORE! Give it a try, I am certain it will make many returns to your menu!

Enchilada Casser-Ole!

Ingredients:
  •  1  pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
  • 1 large sweet onion, chopped
  • 2 cups salsa
  • 1 can (15 ounce) black bean, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
  • 2 tablespoons reduced sodium taco seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
  • 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
  • 1 cup shredded lettuce
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (oh yeah)
Love Notes: So I bought mild salsa for the recipe bc of the toddlers, but instead I had bought a small can of chopped jalapenos to use as a topper for us grown folk to have some heat :)
I also gave the boys some tortilla chips on the side, Coop liked scooping some of the casserole on to his chips.

  1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink: drain. Stir in the salsa, beans, dressing, taco seasoning and cumin. Place three of the six tortillas in a 2-qt baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the meat mixture, sour cream and cheese. Repeat layers.
  2. Cover and bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes or so before topping with the lettuce, tomato, cilantro and jalapenos (if you can hang)
Yields 8 servings

Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals  357 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat) 45 mg cholesterol, 864 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.

Enjoy! AT

FF~ Cooper still has not had any accidents! Night or day, I am so proud and so relieved. I don't even really have to ask him about it. In public or at home he just goes to the bathroom or asks. He has told me a couple times in the car, and waits til I find a good place to go. I am amazed at how fast he just went from accidents every day to NONE! Diapers, pull ups, accidents all gone before 3...not too bad my for my first kiddo. At least in my head...don't write and tell me about yo' sistas baby gettin' trained at 12 months...I ain't hearin' it! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I think I will try this!! Except with corn tortillas, I like them way better than flour for in the oven dishes.

    And my son was 3 1/2 when he was finally all potty trained. The funny thing is that he went to daycare and would go at daycare. I had no idea because he'd come home and make me help him with pullups... His daycare teacher is the one that told me he was potty trained... He had me fooled!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE corn tortillas too! I always like to try a recipe exactly the way they recommend it first- then change it up! :) let me know how it is with corn!
    Too funny about the pullups! Haha Kids are too smart for their own good! ;) xo

    ReplyDelete